Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Very popular and very local food

We ate out for lunch today. Since every one in my family wanted to have something warm, we decided to go to the "Miso nikomi udon" restaurant.
Simply speaking, "Miso nikomi udon" is a dish of "noodles in a soup based on Hacchou miso "a red-colored fermented soybean paste". "Miso nikomi udon" is cooked in a single serving size clay pan. Japanese broth, "Hacchou miso", some chopped green onions, fried soybean curd, small pieces of chicken and noodles are cooked on high heat in this clay pan for each person. And one raw egg is added as a final touch. Mmmm,perfect!
"Miso nikomi udon" is characterised by its thick noodles. Anyone that tries this dish for the first time will suspect the noodles are served uncooked. However this thick and hard noodles go so well with strong Hacchou miso soup that once you have tried it, you are on the top of the world, hopefully!
There are many "Miso nikomi udon" restaurants here and there in Nagoya So don't fail to drop by one of them and try this special food from Nagoya " Miso nikomi udon."
Here is a link to
my favorite "Miso nikomi udon" restaurant. (only in Japanese)
There is a flash site on the top page. You will enjoy it.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Udon noodles.... however, the type I get is not "fresh." When I want fresh noodles, I head to the city.

I have never had udon with the egg cooked on top. I'm sure it's delicious!

Unknown said...

I love your new doll! It's a greating thing to waste time with!

As with the Udon, in college, I bought them in a package with the seasoning... They were not dried... but the fact that they were in plastic is kind of gross.

When I went to Chef Masaharu Morimoto's restaurant in Philadelphia, I got the chicken noodle soup, which had a little udon. It was wonderful!!! My favorite chicken soup ever!

I need to go to Japan someday.