Thursday, December 10, 2009

Have some "senbei"!

These are the most popular Japanese confectionery. They are "senbei", which made from glutinous rice and wheat flour. The dough is stretched thinly into circles or squares of about a coater-size in general, but in fact in varieties of shapes and sizes. Then, they are put into molds and baked.
They are flavored with soy sauce, salt or sugar and some are applied or mixed with sesame, beans or soybean paste. Some are wrapped in seaweed as well.
I love the one seared maple leaves and ginkgo leave in the picture. These are made from wheat flour mixed with sugar and eggs. Slightly sweet. Mmmmm I love them. This old senbei confectionery shop downtown Nagoya changes their seared stamps on "senbei " in every four season. Isn't it fun?

"Senbei" are snacks that go really well with green tea. It cerntaily provides a nice tea time in a family.

9 comments:

Pamela said...

YUMMY! I want some! :)

Thanks for your compliments on my blog...I always love hearing from you. :)

littletiara said...

those look delish!! I want some! Haha, and it's interesting how they change the picture based on the season :) Japanese and their creativity, huh?

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Love them...we have a japanese supermarket here! Love the ones with seaweed-nori! Delicious~
xo*

Anya said...

It looks very yummieee......
:-)
It looks very creative !!!

Aurora said...

yum.

Dionne said...

These look delicious and pretty all in one!

Ellen Whyte said...

Oooh yummy! And pretty too. This is the season for Christmas treats too so the shops are full of goodies. I'm making Christmas pies soon. Soaking fruit in booze as we speak!

Emilie Delance said...

Hi! :D Thank you for your sweet comment, love looking at your pictures, as it reminds me of Japan. And I love japanese food and snacks! ^_^

Dionne said...

Hahaa, this was included in what you sent me! I LOVE THEM!